November 15, 2016
According to Landgate the land on the West side of the entrance to the Peel inlet was originally reserved in July 1831 for a town that was to be named "Peel". However no development took place and in any event the majority of settlers took up residence on the East shore in preference to the West. The land on the East shore was apparently known by the local aboriginals as "Mandurah".
Among the early settlers was a thomas Peel who named his home "Mandurah House". Interestingly the name Mandurah is believed to be derived from the word "manjar" which means "trading place".