What makes Christmas a good time of year to move?
- Moving over Christmas means your family will be settled into a new home and ready to start afresh in the new year.
- Christmas often means you’ll have some time off work, which also frees up time to move.
Why is Christmas not the best time to move?
- Just as you may have time off work over Christmas, so will tradespeople, which means that it might be difficult to organise repairs or jobs around the house.
Top tips to guarantee a smooth move and minimise stress:
The most important thing to do is plan ahead! Moving is stressful enough; add to that the hustle and bustle of the holiday period and things can get out of hand quickly if you don’t adequately plan.
- Check your settlement date and book your removalist as soon as you know. Chances are, you’re not the only family looking to move during this period.
- Create an itemised budget of your moving expenses so you can plan accordingly. Include: removalist fees, storage fees, what you plan to spend on furniture or appliances for the new home.
- If you require any repairs and/or maintenance on your property before the move, book these as soon as possible as trades people may have limited availability during the holidays.
- Take a methodical approach to packing. Pack the most important items first and label the boxes accordingly so that when you are in your new home, you can prioritise which boxes to unpack first in the Christmas madness. For example, you’ll want to clearly label the box with your Christmas decorations, dinnerware etc ahead of the move.
- Order new furniture and appliances ahead of time.
- Don’t forget to get your utilities and services connected in your new home such as gas, water, electricity, phone and internet.
- Take the time to plan for Christmas as well. Write a list of gifts you plan to buy. If you plan to host guests for a party, write down what you’ll need.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Moving at any time of the year is stressful but Christmas means you’re likely to have family and friends around who can help you pack, unpack or get organised for your move. Get delegating!
Christmas is about family and celebrating so don’t forget to have a good time amid all the madness. If you’re looking to buy your new home, speak to your local Mortgage Choice broker today.