Article published 19 August 2021
With interest rates at record lows and a raft of Government incentives available for first home buyers, the urgency to get onto the property ladder has skyrocketed, sparked by a growing fear of missing out. And this fear is reasonable. After all, despite the mayhem in the market, it could be a great time to buy.
But it’s also a competitive time. And there isn’t much difference to split you and the next person at auction. But, what if we told you how you can separate yourself from the rest of the pack and really make yourself stand out at buying time?
A Mortgage Choice broker can give you a competitive edge with expert advice and tips to make sure you are as prepared as possible when that moment comes when you are going to war for your dream home.
How a Mortgage Choice broker can be your secret weapon
1. Help you get pre-approval
Loan pre-approval provides you with a conditional approval of a loan amount. Generally speaking, it's based on an assessment of your individual circumstances, needs and ability to repay the loan.
It may be your biggest weapon, when it comes to buying a home, as it allows you to understand how much you can borrow and therefore, what you can spend on a property, stopping you from looking at properties out of your price range.
It also puts you in a stronger position to negotiate with a vendor or bid at auction, giving you more confidence when it comes to bidding.
Our mortgage brokers will help you get pre-approval by assisting you with organising a deposit by illustrating a genuine savings plan to a lender. They can also help you identify any credit defaults you may have and what you can do to rectify the situation to help clean up your credit history. You’ll also be assisted throughout all the time-consuming paperwork, such as organising your savings records and identity documents, to help streamline the process for you.
2. Give you essential auction tips
The auction atmosphere can be overwhelming for people who are new to the experience and losing out on a home you’ve fallen in love with can leave you feeling very disappointed and unmotivated, so it's important to be prepared.
Your broker can help prepare you for crunch time by giving you essential auction tips so that you don’t crumble under pressure:
- Reviewing the contract of sale to make sure you understand your various legal obligations should you place the winning bid
- Familiarising yourself with the rules - No two auctions are exactly alike, so attend a few 'practice auctions' before the big day to make sure you know the rules and exactly how the event runs.
- Know your limits - Making sure you're really clear on the “maximum” amount you want to spend at auction is really important. In today's market with property prices soaring, it is easy for properties to sell way above the reserve price. So don’t get carried away.
You can get more auction tips like this by speaking to your broker or you can find more here.