This is the question most of us face at some time in our lives.
Should you stay in your existing home, or should you make the brave decision to pack up and leave to go to a smaller house/apartment.
You go around and around in circles because you really love your home but!!!
- It is becoming too much work to maintain
- You would like to downsize and maybe travel or reduce your Mortgage repayments
- Maybe it would be good just to have a change
- Maybe move to an apartment and purchase a holiday place near the sea
- Smaller place to live in but buy a Unit for a future investment
If this sounds like you then there are some things you should be doing if you are contemplating the ‘Big Move’.
Even if it is just a thought that is floating around in your head you should start preparing now. You don’t want to miss the opportunity of selling and maximizing your profit if you have missed out because of bad timing and not being prepared.
To make money you need to spend money. To prepare your home, you need to have enough put aside, or this might be the time you need to draw down on your Mortgage.
Here are a few tips to help you on your way.
- Make a list of all the jobs that need to be done.
- If doing the work yourself put aside a whole weekend, as you will benefit from trying to get as much done in that time and maybe actually completing rather than leaving half done.
If employing people to do the work for you make sure you utilize their time so you are not calling them back to do other jobs at a later stage. Keep in mind that if you are not confident in doing the work yourself, it may cost you, but in the long run it leaves you time to tackle the jobs you can do.
- Now is the time to get into your garden and start planting. If selling in Spring your home will be a sea of colour. If you have an apartment you can also benefit from colourful pots or hanging baskets.
- Don’t underestimate the benefit of painting. A fresh coat of paint adds life to a tired room or space.
- Less is more!! Get rid of clutter.
Remember presentation is everything so take the time to look at your home with the ‘eyes of a prospective buyer’.
Now you are ready and have done all the work to prepare your property you are in control of the situation to sell when you want.
And when ready for the Big Move – keep in touch with your Mortgage Broker!