Solution finder
It all starts with a goal, what's yours? Buy or build my first home and

Home Loans - First Home Owner Grant QLD

In Queensland, first home buyers building or buying a new house, unit or townhouse up to the value of $750,000, may be eligible for a $15,000 First Home Owners Grant.

QLD First Home Buyer Guide

This quick video takes you through the changes made to first home buyer grants and concessions in Queensland in January 2018.

Updated  9 January 2019

First Home Owner Grant

The Queensland Government is offering a First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) to all eligible first home buyers up to the value of $15,000.

To be eligible for the grant you need to purchase a new home, buy an 'off the plan' property, or buy land and build a residential property on the land. Further, the dwelling must become your principal place of residence for at least 6 continuous months within 1 year of completing the transaction. Finally, the value of the property must be less than $750,000. 

If you are eligible for the grant, you may also be eligible for a first home buyers concession on the transfer duty (stamp duty). To be eligible for the stamp duty concession, you must:

  • Have purchased or built a new home with a dutiable value of $550,000 or less. Those purchasing or building new properties with a dutiable value of $504,999 or less will receive the maximum stamp duty concession - $8,750.
  • Have purchased vacant land where you intend to build a residential dwelling up to the value of $399,999. Those building homes with a dutiable value of $250,000 or less will receive the fill stamp duty concession.

The stamp duty concessions given to first home buyers decrease in value for both new homes and vacant land purchases as the value of the property increases.

To estimate the transfer duty you may have to pay on your new home, try our calculator or speak to one of our local expert mortgage brokers.  

For more information please visit Queensland First Home Owners' Grant website.

Are you eligible for a First Home Owner Grant?

Applying for the First Home Owner Grant


Talk to your broker
In most cases, your chosen lender will act as an agent for the Revenue Office. Your lender, together with your broker, will make sure you receive the grant if you are entitled to it.


Allow time for processing
Your Mortgage Choice broker will ensure that the First Home Owner Grant funds are available at settlement or at the first progress payment if you are building your home.


If you go direct...
If you apply directly to the Revenue Office, funds will not be available until after settlement or completion of the home if you are building.

Things can change quickly in the market.

Subscribe and stay informed with news, rates and industry insights.