Solution finder
It all starts with a goal, what's yours? Buy or build my first home and

First Home Owner Grant SA

In South Australia, first home buyers who build or buy a new property may be eligible for a one-off First Home Owners Grant of $15,000.

SA First Home Buyer Guide

This quick video takes you through the changes made to first home buyer grants and concessions in South Australia in January 2018.

Updated 4 December 2017

First Home Owners Grant

First home buyers who build or buy a new property may be eligible for a one-off First Home Owners Grant of $15,000

To be eligible for the FHOG, buyers must:

  • Build or buy a new residential property. Properties can include a house, flat, unit, townhouse or apartment that meets local planning standards anywhere in South Australia
  • Buy or build a new home with a dutiable value of $575,000 or less
  • Occupy the dwelling for 6 continuous months within the first 12 months after settlement on properties purchased, or 12 months after the dwelling construction was finalised.


Off-the-plan stamp duty concessions

A partial stamp duty concession will be available for those first home buyers purchasing off-the-plan apartments located anywhere in South Australia so long as the contract is entered into before 30 June 2018. Foreign purchasers who enter into a contract on or after 22 June 2017 are not eligible for the concession. 

A Pre-Construction Grant for Off-the-Plan Apartment Purchasers of $10 000 may also be available for contracts entered into between 22 June 2017 and 30 September 2017

To calculate this concession, please consider the following: where the value of the apartment is less than $500,000 the size of the concession is greater than where the value of the home is greater than $500,000. Further, the stage of completion of the residential development has an impact as well. Please review the Off The Plan Concession Zone here


Are you eligible for a First Home Owner Grant?

Applying for the First Home Owner Grant


Talk to your broker
In most cases, your chosen lender will act as an agent for the Revenue Office. Your lender, together with your broker, will make sure you receive the grant if you are entitled to it.


Allow time for processing
Your Mortgage Choice broker will ensure that the First Home Owner Grant funds are available at settlement or at the first progress payment if you are building your home.


If you go direct...
If you apply directly to the Revenue Office, funds will not be available until after settlement or completion of the home if you are building.

Things can change quickly in the market.

Subscribe and stay informed with news, rates and industry insights.