First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) SA
Great news for first home owners in South Australia – the First Home Owners Grant South Australia is worth $15,000 when you buy or build a new home worth up to $575,000. That’s a big helping hand to get you into a home of your own.
Frequently asked questions about FHOG in SA
How much is the First Home Owners Grant SA?
The $15,000 FHOG in South Australia is only available to first home owners who buy a new home. You can choose from a house, apartment, townhouse or villa, but you will only be able to claim the FHOG SA if you pay below $575,000 for your home. Adelaide is a very affordable city, so this shouldn’t be a problem for most first home owners in South Australia.
You can also claim the First Home Owner Grant in South Australia when you buy a block of vacant to build your first home on. However, the end value of your building plus land must be no more than $575,000.
The FHOG SA is not available if you buy an established home.
There are no limits on how you spend the FHOG SA, and it can used to form part of your first home deposit.
First Home Owners Grant SA eligibility
To be eligible for the FHOG in South Australia, you’ll need to meet several conditions:
- At least one applicant must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident.
- You need to be a natural person – not a company or trust.
- You need to be aged 18 and over.
- You must not have previously owned a residential property anywhere in Australia before 1 July 2000.
- You must not have owned residential property in Australia after 1 July 2000, which you have lived in for six months or more.
- You need to live in the home you buy for at least six months within 12 months of taking ownership or following completion of construction.
How to apply for First Home Owner Grant SA
Applying for the First Home Owner Grant in South Australia is easy, and your Mortgage Choice broker can guide you through the paperwork. Simply fill out the form below and a local expert will be in contact with you shortly.
Are first home buyers in SA exempt from stamp duty?
First home owners in South Australia can’t claim any specific stamp duty concessions. If you signed up to buy an off the plan property before 30 June 2018, you may be entitled to off the plan stamp duty concession however, this concession does not apply if you entered into a contract on or after 1 July 2018.