Solution finder
I'm looking to Buy or build my first home and

First Home Owner Grant WA

WA-based first home buyers may be entitled to a $10,000 First Home Owner Grant as well as other financial support via the ‘Home Buyers Assistance Account.

Updated 9 January 2019

How much is the First Home Owner Grant in WA?

  • If you’re buying a first home in WA, you could be entitled to a range of first home buyer benefits.
  • A First Home Owner Grant – sometimes called the first home buyers grant – can be worth up to $10,000 depending on where you buy and how much you pay for your first home.
  • Home Buyers Assistance Account – an extra $2,000 to help with upfront buying costs if your first home costs less than $400,000 (house and land packages aren’t eligible).

Keep on reading below to find out more about the various grants available in WA.

FHOG: New homes 

A First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) of $10,000 is currently available for first home buyers purchasing new homes in Western Australia up to the value of $750,000 (or $1,000,000 if the property is located north of the 26th parallel of South Latitude).

To be eligible, first time buyers have to live in their new home for at least 6 months within the first year of purchasing the property.

Home Buyers Assistance Account

An additional contribution in the form of a grant from the Home Buyers Assistance Account is also available through the Real Estate & Business Agents Supervisory Board.

The scheme provides first home buyers with up to $2,000 in order to cover the various expenses they will encounter when they purchase an established or partially built home through a licensed real estate agent.

Types of expenses that can be covered include:

  • conveyancing or solicitor fees;
  • valuation fees;
  • bank/lending institution fees;
  • mortgage registration fees;
  • mortgage insurance premiums;
  • and inspection and establishment fees. 

This Account is only available for properties up to $400,000 and is not available for vacant land or house and land packages.

For more information, go to Department of Commerce site for the Government of Western Australia.

Are you eligible for a First Home Owner Grant?

Applying for the First Home Owner Grant


Talk to your broker
In most cases, your chosen lender will act as an agent for the Revenue Office. Your lender, together with your broker, will make sure you receive the grant if you are entitled to it.


Allow time for processing
Your Mortgage Choice broker will ensure that the First Home Owner Grant funds are available at settlement or at the first progress payment if you are building your home.


If you go direct...
If you apply directly to the Revenue Office, funds will not be available until after settlement or completion of the home if you are building.

Things can change quickly in the market.

Subscribe and stay informed with news, rates and industry insights.