First Home Owner Grant SA

In South Australia, the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is available on the purchase or construction of a new home.

Updated 10 July 2017

First home buyers who meet the eligibility criteria may qualify to receive a one-off First Home Owners Grant of $15,000 for new homes or construction. FHOG applies to the purchase or construction of a new residential property, including a house, flat, unit, townhouse or apartment that meets local planning standards anywhere in South Australia. 

A FHOG cap applies to the property, where the value is capped at $575,000 and refers to the market value of the property purchased or built.

The residential property must be occupied as each applicant's principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least six months commencing within 12 months of date of settlement for contracts to purchase, or the date construction is completed for owner builders or contracts to build.


Off-the-plan stamp duty concessions

A partial stamp duty concession will be available for purchases of off-the-plan apartments located anywhere in South Australia if the contract was entered into between 1 July 2014 and 30 June 2018. Foreign purchasers who enter into a contract on or after 22 June 2017 are not eligible for the concession. A Pre-Construction Grant for Off-the-Plan Apartment Purchasers of $10 000 may also be available for contracts entered into between 22 June 2017 and 30 September 2017

For calculation of this concession, please consider the following. Where the value of the apartment is less than $500,000 the size of the concession is greater than where the value of the home is greater than $500,000. Further, the stage of completion of the residential development has an impact as well. Please review the Off the plan concession zone here


First home owner grant questionnaire

See if you're eligible

How a Mortgage Choice broker can help

Your local Mortgage Choice broker can take you through all of the incentives available, help you determine what you’re eligible for, and assist you in preparing all of the relevant paperwork to ensure you claim everything you’re entitled to.

Applying for the
First Home Owner Grant


In most cases

the lenders are able to act as agents for the Revenue Office.


This allows the First Home Owner Grant funds

to be available at settlement or at the first progress payment if you are building your home.


If you apply directly to the Revenue Office,

funds will not be available until after settlement or completion of the home if you are building.

Talk to us today to find out more about first home buyer incentives.

All fields required
  • Contact us today:
  • Meet us in:
  • Have you used Mortgage Choice before? * :
  • Additional Comments? * :

Thanks for your enquiry. We'll match you up with your local Mortgage Choice broker who will get in touch with you soon!


Follow us for the latest news and tips on properties and home loans:


Social -FB    Social-Twitter    Social-Gplus


For more details, go to the Revenue SA website.