Are you thinking of extending your family this Christmas?
Adding a furry friend to your life can give you a life time of joy and companionship. To ensure you are ready for taking on the responsibility of the new member of your family have a look at the infographic below from that lists the average cost of caring for a pet – provided by ASIC – Australian Securities and investment commission.
It is of course impossible to put a price on the great joy a pet can bring into the family home but according to ASIC data, here are some points worth considering for your budget.
- Purchase cost - this can vary greatly between breeds
- Vet bills - Microchipping, vaccinations, de-sexing, regular check-ups, as well as the unexpected
- Accessories - collars, kennels, scratching poles, leads, bowls, litter trays, toys etc
- Other services - obedience school, local council registration, grooming
- Pet insurance - age and breed dependent
As a guide only the estimated set up costs for the first year of owning a cat or dog could range between $3000 and $6000. (excluding any major health concerns).
Pets of course come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, 2 legs, 4 legs or no legs at all. So ensure you consider your budget and spend a little time understanding the new expenses that will come your way with your new family member.
Best wishes for the festive season from Mortgage Choice in Mudgeeraba, Gold Coast.