12 MONEY SAVING IDEAS
How I tired of hearing my dad constantly reminding me that if I 'look after the pennies, then the pounds would take care of themselves' - or that 'a penny saved is a penny earned'....well, as it turns out, how correct he was, and not much has changed these days, except the value of the dollar.
It is still a case of no amount being too small to save, to make a difference to your bank account, be it loose change in your pocket or coins in your money box, as it all adds up in the end.
It is a great idea to consider setting a small amount aside every payday for savings, perhaps even an automatic deduction from your salary - before you know it, this money will have grown without you having to think about it.
Other penny pinching ideas to save you thousands of dollars in a year include:
1. take your own home made lunch and drinks to work
2. make home made gifts for friends and relatives
3. use your library to borrow books and DVD's instead of renting/buying them
4. save on electricity by doing rapid, cold water laundry washes
5. look out for supermarket specials and freeze food and leftovers where possible
6. learn some basic mending techniques for repairing clothing
7. if you are a student or pensioner, check out for entitlements, including council rates
8. shop in bulk with a friend
9. discover common uses for household products - e.g. using vinegar for cleaning windows and olive oil as makeup remover will save on all of those cleaning products that you will no longer need.
10. use a clothes horse - not the dryer - in winter
11. grow some fresh herbs, rather than buying them every week
12. NEVER DO GROCERY SHOPPING WHEN HUNGRY!
So, my lovely old dad was right - dust off the old money box and start saving!