If you are on the hunt for a home and hope to soon purchase your first property then you may eventually need to meet with a conveyancer.
What is a conveyancer?
A conveyancer is a licensed and qualified professional whose job it is to provide advice and information about the sale of a property, prepare the documentation and conduct the settlement process. Conveyancers don’t necessarily have to be lawyers but solicitors often undertake this work.*
The preparation, execution, verification and lodgement of numerous legal documents are important elements of conveyancing. A good conveyancer should explain every process to you in a way that is easy to understand. They should also largely look after all the legal paperwork for you so you don’t have to worry about a thing.
When you've found the right one, your conveyancer should:
- Search government departments and local authorities
- Provide advice on the effect of the contract
- Assist with the preparation and certification of legal documents
- Stamp required documents
- Calculate adjustments of rates and taxes
- Prepare settlement statements
- Liaise with mortgagors and financiers; and
- Attend settlement.
It's very important for you to choose the right conveyancer for your needs. Regardless of whether you are buying or selling your property, it is a good idea to ask your conveyancer the following questions in order to make sure they can meet all of your needs:
- Are you a member of the Australian Institute of Conveyancers?
- What's the maximum I can expect to pay in fees and charges?
- What are your fees and what services are included in those fees?
- What will any additional services cost?
- What government fees and charges will I need to pay?
- How long will settlement take?
- How will you keep me up to date with what's happening
Your local Mortgage Choice mortgage broker will be able to refer you onto a good conveyancer, so you can feel comfortable in the knowledge that you are dealing with the right professional for your needs.
For more information contact Rob Lees at Mortgage Choice on 4739 9749 or visit www.mortgagechoice.com.au/rob.lees