October 07, 2015
Only 79 Days to Christmas!
The countdown is on. So let’s think about holiday plans.
We all need holidays; so here’s our top tips for some great spots near Brisbane to visit during the Christmas school holidays.
Day trips from Brisbane:
- Maleny: slightly cooler than Brisbane so great on a hot day; shopping; arts and crafts shops; parks and walks (Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve ); local restaurants and cafes – including one of the best ice cream shops in Queensland - Colin James Fine Foods; scenic views
- Caloundra: a great destination for a day at the beach; very easy and quick (1hour) to get to from Brisbane; great safe swimming spots for families with young children; for more: Caloundra info
- Australia Zoo: get up close with wildlife; a full-day experience suitable for all ages; food outlets on-site; if you plan to visit more than once a year, the annual pass is a great deal
Photo above: Mt Barney Lodge activities
Short Stays near Brisbane:
- Mt Barney Lodge: a retreat south-west from Brisbane (1.5hours) near Rathdowney; excellent and affordable camping and cabin accommodation; next to Mt Barney National Park; fantastic range of outdoor, wildlife and educational activities for children; for more: Mt Barney Lodge
- Toowoomba: head to the hills for a couple of days; great parks; Cobb & Co Museum is perfect for children – they have great holiday programs with hands-on activities; plenty of cafes and restaurants; Crows Nest and Ravensbourne National Parks nearby
- Scenic Rim: O’Reillys or Binna Burra; a great escape either with kids or without; stunning scenery; walking tracks; wildlife; with a variety of accommodation options including camping; O’Reillys have great kids activities and ‘Junior Ranger’ programs during school holidays
1 week or more:
- Note: most coastal accommodation places have a 7-night minimum booking during the peak summer holiday season; book early to avoid disappointment
- Yamba: becoming a favourite spot for Brisbane families; ideal camping and caravan park options located near the river and beaches; with 11 local beaches and the Clarence River there are plenty of water activities available; and Yuraygir National Park; a very family friendly destination; for more: Yamba
- Bundaberg / Bargara: a wide range of accommodation options; plenty of activities for families or couples; much less crowded than other beach holiday hot spots; don’t miss the turtle centre at Mon Repos – a must do (make sure you book in advance): Mon Repos Turtle Centre ** turtle egg laying, nesting, and hatchling season is from November-March each year
- Kingfisher Bay Resort / Fraser Island: perfect for an island escape; accommodation and activities to suit all ages; great walking and nature experiences; Junior Ranger activities for children; dining options and pools to keep all the family happy: Kingfisher Bay Resort
Photo above: Kingfisher Bay Resort junior ranger program
For some other suggestions, and suggested “Top 10 Summer Holiday Spots” in Australia, CLICK HERE.
The holidays are also a great time to come and see us to sort out your finances… take the time to consider your finance needs while you are less stressed, and less distracted by work. Would you like to discuss re-financing options? Need finance to renovate your home or purchase an investment property? Upgrade to a new home? Need a car or business loan? Talk to our financial planner? We’re here to help you with whatever your finance needs are.